The internet produced a recipe that I modified and it was lovely.
Since it served 8 and we were serving 2, I completely ignored the quantities. Use whatever amount you think will do you the most good. (For reference, I'll put the original quantities in parentheses.) My guess is that you can be fairly flexible with the dressing - something sweet, something acid, something salt and umami and a little fat for richness and mouth feel.
Ingredients
1/2 small squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1 inch cubes, more or less (3lbs)
1 small apple, peeled cored and cut into 1 inch cubes, more or less (2 medium apples)
1 medium onion, cut lengthwise, 1/3 inch julienne (2 medium red onions)
olive oil
salt
pepper
Dressing:
1 Tablespoon brown sugar (1/3 cup)
1 Tablespoon sherry wine vinegar (I used a mix of sherry and wine vinegar) (1/4 cup)
1 Tablespoon light soy sauce (1/4 cup)
1 T butter, chilled, ins small chunks (12 ounces - really)
fresh herbs, parsley and tarragon (1/4 cup each tarragon and parsley)
Preheat oven to 425 F.
Toss the squash, apples and onions with some olive oil to coat. Season with salt and pepper.
Roast the vegetables in a shallow baking or roasting pan until tender, about 15-20 minutes.
While the vegetables are in the oven, prepare the dressing:
In a small saucepan mix sugar, sherry wine vinegar and soy sauce. Reduce by about 1/3. Add butter a bit at a time, whisking it in. Season with salt pepper and herbs.
When the vegetables are done, toss with the dressing and serve. (Check quantities, you may not need all of the dressing - a little goes a long way.)
1 comment:
I LOVE roasted vegetables. I bet the leftovers would be good the next day as lunch, even without reheating.
Post a Comment