Sunday, November 28, 2010

Even Better Pastry Dough

For years, Mrs. Campbell's pastry recipe was the one I turned too, but I made it with butter or margarine instead of lard or vegetable shortening. However, I have recently found a food-processor pastry recipe and method that I think will be my go-to recipe from now on. It comes from The Pleasures of Cooking for One by Judith Jones. She uses it for quiche, pot pies, and such like.  I assume you could add a bit of sugar for sweet pie dough.

2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
14 tablespoons | 1 3/4 sticks | 200 grams cold unsalted butter (I put it into the freezer for 30 minutes first)
3 or 4 tablespoons of ice water.

  1. Put an ice cube in a small bowl with 4 tablespoons of water.
  2. Put the flour and salt in a food processor and spin for a few seconds to mix.
  3. Cut the butter in small pieces and add them to the flour.
  4. Pulse 8 times with 1-second pulses (say alligator for each pulse to get it right).
  5. Sprinkle 3 tablespoons of the ice water over the flour-butter mixture.
  6. Pulse 8 times with 1-second pulses.
  7. Lightly flour a work surface and turn the mixture out onto it. (It will not be a dough yet.)
  8. Gather the mixture together into a ball as best you can. If it is too dry, sprinkle a little more ice water on the driest spots.
  9. Use the heel of your hand to smear the dough out in small increments, and gather the dough together again. (This is technique called fraisage, first popularized by Julia Child.)
  10. Flatten it out into a disk, wrap it in plastic and put it in the fridge for 30 minutes before rolling it out.

Tip: If you only need part of it (I use a quarter of it for a 2-serving quiche), use what you need now, cut the rest in the portions you think you'll need, flatten each portion into a disk, wrap and freeze until you need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment