Source: Madhur Jaffrey's Indian Cookery (1982).
450 g fresh green beans
4 tablespoons vegetable or peanut oil (I actually use less than this)
1 tablespoons whole black mustard seeds
4 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
1/2 - 1 dried red chili, coarsely crushed (red pepper flakes will do)
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon sugar
Freshly ground black pepper
- Trim and cut the beans to 2.5 cm lengths. Blanch them in rapidly boiling water for 3-4 minutes, then drain and rinse in cold water. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok over medium heat. When the oil is hot put in the mustard seeds. When they start to pop, put in the garlic, stirring them until they turn light brown (not too dark!). Put in the chili, and stir for a few seconds.
- Add the beans, salt and sugar. Reduce the heat to medium low, cooking for 7-8 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the black pepper, mix, and serve.
2 comments:
This sounds good, Margaret. I think I'll try it with sweet potatoes tonight (that's what I have on hand!)
This is one of my favorites. Nice to see other folks like it too!
Post a Comment